Do you have cracked, damaged or missing teeth? Crowns and bridges can help you…
Sometimes we can't repair a tooth. A crown is needed when your tooth has been extensively filled or it is cracked or broken, or when there is not enough tooth structure left for a traditional filling or an inlay or onlay. Crowns and bridges are cosmetic techniques to restore the appearance of your teeth even where the original tooth or teeth are badly damaged – or even missing.
What is a Crown ?
A crown is a porcelain or gold cap that is used to rebuild and strengthen a weak or broken tooth. Crowns can also be used to improve your smile by changing the shape and colour of your existing teeth.
What are Crowns Made of?
If a crown is required for a tooth at the front of your mouth, your fa,ily dentist dentist will match the existing colour of your teeth with a porcelain tooth. Sometimes you may choose a lighter colour. Further back in your mouth, a crown can be made of porcelain, however your dentist may recommend a gold crown because of its strength and longevity. Every case is different and your Lumino dentist will discuss all of the options available to you.
What is the Procedure to Place a Crown?
- All decay and weak areas of a damaged tooth are removed and your dentist takes an impression of the tooth.
- This impression is sent to the laboratory for the technician to form a model of your tooth. There are many stages to forming the crown and in a few short weeks it is returned to the dental practice.
- During this time a temporary crown will be cemented onto your tooth to protect it. On the next visit your new crown will be bonded into position and will be ready to use straightaway.
- Having a crown fitted can significantly improve the aesthetic appearance of your teeth. With a Lumino The Dentists crown fitted, you will be able to smile with confidence, content in the knowledge that no-one will be able to tell that your teeth were ever anything less than perfect.
- At YFDL Dentistry, we believe that comprehensive dental care is the best way to ensure your oral health.
WHAT IS A BRIDGE?
A bridge is a solution for a missing tooth or teeth. Dental bridges bridge the gap created by one or more missing teeth. The crown replacing the missing tooth is joined to crowns made to fit over the adjacent teeth. In this way, the bridge, made up of three crowns is supported by the teeth either side of the gap. Sometimes more than one missing tooth can be replaced in this way.
What is the Procedure?
During your first visit, the teeth adjacent to the gap are prepared. These teeth are recontoured by removing a portion of enamel to allow room for a crown to be placed over them. Then, impressions of your teeth are made and are sent to the laboratory for the technician to form a model of the bridge.
Your dentist will make a temporary bridge for you to wear to protect the exposed teeth and gums while your bridge is being made.
At your next appointment, your temporary bridge is removed and permanent is cemented.